Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How to use a Cookbook for Easier Menu Planning

A most enjoyable way to start the day:
birdsong on a light, cool breeze
Sidra purring
delicious coffee &
reading recipes in a newly acquired cookbook.

Yup, not a mystery -- my more usual practice. A cookbook. Specifically,
Weight Watchers in 20 minutes.

As I know what I like, ingredients-wise, and what I don't, I scanned the list, first. Anything with smoked salmon, cilantro, or scallops, for example, was immediately eliminated.

Since I'm not on the WeightWatchers points program, I'm on a high protein/low carb program, first I'd recalculate the carbs by subtracting the fiber carbs (good ones) from the carb count given. Anything with a huge (my view) carb count for one meal, got immediately eliminated.

Anything that required a food processor or a microwave got eliminated. The time saved using the food processor is blasted by the time it takes to clean them, in my opinion. Cooking with a microwave nearly always eliminates any nutritional value of the food.

Out of the 31 recipes in "Welcome the Morning," I found six recipes that sound scrumptious and that I'm likely to make. There are 8 recipes in "It's Noon ... Time to Eat" that sound yummy. Two of which, especially so.

14 new recipes - a successful harvest.

Some of the recipe pages with reject recipes on both sides, I just tore out and tossed. Others, I just marked with a line through them.

Since the Chapter recipe list does not have page numbers, I marked my winners with their page numbers.

I think I'm going to use Tombo Correction Tape (white-out) over all the rejected recipe titles. That way, all I'll see are my choices.

It's likely that I'll tear out the winners and add them to my favorite recipe binders for ease in meal planning.


For today, it is enough to have identified my winning recipes in two chapters.

KT's Chapter 1 Picks:
27 Denver Omelette
28 Provencal Vegetable Omelette
29 Potato and Green Pepper Frittata
30 Crab and Chive Frittata
36 Mixed Veggie Egg Foo Yong
42 Turkey, Potato, and Sage Patties

KT's Chapter 2 Picks:
48 Bartlett Pear and Ham Salad
52 Santa Fe Roasted Chicken Salad
56 Asparagus-Shrimp Salad
60 Roast Beef and Watercress Sandwiches
64 Warm Caesar Chicken Sandwiches
66 Soy-Glazed Fresh Tuna Sandwiches
78 Kiebasa and Black Bean Soup
81 Corn and Crab Chowder
82 Tomato-Basil Soup

That may sound like a lot of work to you. To me, it was delightful and means I'll actually use the recipes in the book more than if I didn't go through this analytical process.

I do the same with recipes found in newspapers and magazines. There, though, my first concern is: how long will it take to make this? More than a half hour, and I'm happy to have such things prepared by a master chef in a restaurant, thank you very much!

What do you think? Do you do something similar? Please share!! Comment, now!


Copyright © 2009 Kathleen Tumpane. All rights reserved.


WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE?

You can, as long as you include the copyright and this blurb with it:


Feng Shui Designer, Teacher, and Coach, Kathleen Tumpane ASID, is the author of Slim House Slim Body; How to use Intentional Design to become and be slim. Visit her Slim Blog at http://www.slimhouseslimbody.com for articles, tips, and news of teleclasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment