Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Slim Challenges of Life with Mom, Part 2

Mom & Me, Circa 2002
It has been quite the Slim Challenge to live with my now 91.75 year old Mom.  As you may recall, she eats the least healthy food possible at every opportunity and has sweet treats Every Day.  Even just keeping her company some of the time plus doing my fair share of stress eating (stuffing those feelings), had a weighty consequence.

After about 7 months of sporadic healthy behaviors, I hit my saturation point.  I recommitted to all my slim behaviors, started exercising regularly, and slowly I have let go of the 22# amassed.

I did think,  having developed wonderful easy ways to use feng shui to support slim intentions and written a book on the subject that I was off the Slim/Pudgy Pendulum Ride  forever.  Obviously, I've found that major changes in one's life can still wreak havoc with one's desires and intentions.

I am very glad that I was able to apply the principles in Slim House Slim Body, even when it didn't seem to be having a very direct effect on me.

Over the last year, I have been clearing out virtually every closet, cabinet, storeroom, and drawer in my Mom's very large home.  To her eyes, it looks very much the same.  Most of the differences are behind closed doors.

The bulk of this project was completed about the time I decided enough is enough and recommitted to my slim lifestyle. 

It took about a month for Mom to quit suggesting I taste her yummy indulgences.  For a while there, it seemed like I was saying "No, thanks" about 8 times a day.  Her new habit of refraining from asking me to share in such things makes it much easier to stay on track with my healthy food choices.

I'm currently at an acceptable weight.  However, there's this gorgeous, red, halter top dancing dress with a beaded jacket that will be perfect for Christmas dancing parties that I'd love to wear.  It's my Mom's dress from her former petite days.  I think it is possible that I can healthily wear it.  It's a wonderful dream, in any case.

Do you live with someone who either doesn't need to watch what they eat or simply chooses not to be careful?  How do you manage?



Copyright © 2010 Kathleen Tumpane. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment