Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Favorite Food Day -- Welcome Relief?

I grew up Catholic. One of my fondest Catholic memories was my Dad's annual Lent ritual. During Lent, he gave up his favorite foods: potatoes, bread, butter, ice cream. By Easter, forty days later for those of you who didn't grow up Catholic, he lost at least 20 pounds. It was simulataneously his offer of suffering and his annual weight control program!

Why am I telling you? Because last Sunday, I had a nearly Carb Only day!! I had raisen bread toast with cream cheese and cinnamon sugar, a couple of slices of yummy rye bread with butter, several pieces of fruit, savored Charms Blow-Pops (currently my favorite candy treat!!), and I think I had some red licorice, as well.

I'm not sure I had any significant protein all day. Which is roughly the reverse of what I usually do.

About half way through the day, realizing what I was doing, I decided to just go ahead a savor my Favorite Food Day. Sure, it was a boulder on the path back to my chosen slimness. However, by savoring it instead of beating myself up about it, I happily resumed my Slim Path the next morning.

Then, I remembered, on Sundays during Lent, Dad indulged in his favorite foods. I don't remember the theology about it, but apparently that was allowed. And he still lost at least 20 pounds each Lent.

While I have no intention of having a nearly Carb Only Day every Sunday, this memory and experience have given me permission to occasionally have a Favorite Food Day while in slimming mode.

What do you think about this Favorite Food Day? Are you concerned about resuming your program after a day of indulgence? Does the idea appeal to you? Inquiring minds, at least mine, want to know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment